I'm working with a layer cake and cream background yardage from "Miss Scarlet" by Moda.
The block goes together so quickly. It's made entirely of squares and half square triangles (HST).
|10" s 10"|
From Red 1, cut two 3 1/8" squares
From Red 2, cut six 3 1/8" squares
From Red 3, cut four 2 1/2" squares and two 3 1/8" squares.
From Cream 1, cut four 2 1/2" squares and two 3 1/8" squares.
From Cream 2, cut four 3 1/8" squares.
From Cream 3, cut one 2 1/2" square.
Make the half square triangles.
You will need to make eight of A, four of B, and four of C, and one of Cream 3.
Red 2 and Cream 2 are used to make Unit A.
Red 2 and Red 3 are used in Unit B.
Red 1 and Cream 1 are used for Unit C
Cream 3 is used in the center of the block.
1. Choose the two 3 1/8" squares that are used for each unit. Place them right sides together in pairs.
2. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of one of the squares in each pair.
3. Stitch 1/4" from the drawn line on each side of the line.
4. Cut along the line. You will have two HST units. Press seams to the dark.
Assemble the block.
|Diagram of the block assembly.|
2. Make two 2-patch units from 2 1/2" squares of Red 1 and Cream 1.
5. The sets from step 3 will go on the top and the bottom of the row of five squares. Sew together.
That's it. Easy-peasy.
If you find a mistake in this tutorial, please let me know right away so that I can correct it.