Friday, May 12, 2017

"G" is for Giraffe

After so many trials and errors, the giraffe mug rug finally came together. It reminds me of the pictures in a child's alphabet book, so I had no choice but to name it, "G" is for Giraffe.


There were so many missteps along the journey to finding the right design for this mug rug. I made a short list of some things that I need to keep in mind. 

  • I have the greatest success when I stick to designs that are lighthearted and fun. When I try to expand into something more artistic, I often run into trouble. 
  • Working too hard on an idea often backfires. 
  • It often takes several attempts to get things right. 
  • When I'm stuck, I need to take breaks and do things that are entirely different. Eventually ideas gel, but only when I'm relaxed and not overthinking the design. 
  • Fabric choices are everything! Fabrics that look perfect laid out on the cutting board may not look good at all when sewn together. 
  • Trial and error is part of the process.

I'm trying to plan ahead, but I'm not getting very far. In the meantime, I do have some short term project plans, so that's a start.
  1. If the world will slow down, I'll make the last block pattern for Sara's quilt.
  2. I'm waiting for Sara to find time to come over and help me choose a border plan for her quilt.
  3. I still want an old-fashioned schoolhouse quilt, but I'm planning to use more modern fabrics.
Tomorrow is Mother's Day! 
I wish you were here, Mom. Miss you!
 
Wishing you all a wonderful day.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary. I don't know how your comment was deleted. I'm so glad you like my little giraffe. Yes, the pattern is available now. You can find it here: https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/patterns/g-is-for-giraffe/494586

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this quilt! I have a nephew arriving in a few months & I would love to make this for him. When I click the link for the pattern, I get a 404 error. I know it’s a long shot but I was hoping you might see this comment & still have the pattern for sale. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley. I'm delighted that you like this design, but you would have to enlarge the templates quite a bit to make it into a full quilt. The pattern is for a mug rug and measures 6" x 10". This is the link to the pattern: https://www.etsy.com/listing/668001344/
      If you have any questions, please get back to me.
      Karen

      Delete
    2. Thanks for getting back with me, Karen! I’m excited to look through your shop. And thanks for the heads up I just read the word quilt and didn’t get to the “mug rug” part. I will see if I can adjust it some!

      Delete
    3. You are very welcome. I hope you find a way to make this work.

      Delete