Friday, May 12, 2017

"G" is for Giraffe

After so many trials and errors, the giraffe mug rug finally came together. It reminds me of the pictures in a child's alphabet book, so I had no choice but to name it, "G" is for Giraffe.


There were so many missteps along the journey to finding the right design for this mug rug. I made a short list of some things that I need to keep in mind. 

  • I have the greatest success when I stick to designs that are lighthearted and fun. When I try to expand into something more artistic, I often run into trouble. 
  • Working too hard on an idea often backfires. 
  • It often takes several attempts to get things right. 
  • When I'm stuck, I need to take breaks and do things that are entirely different. Eventually ideas gel, but only when I'm relaxed and not overthinking the design. 
  • Fabric choices are everything! Fabrics that look perfect laid out on the cutting board may not look good at all when sewn together. 
  • Trial and error is part of the process.

I'm trying to plan ahead, but I'm not getting very far. In the meantime, I do have some short term project plans, so that's a start.
  1. If the world will slow down, I'll make the last block pattern for Sara's quilt.
  2. I'm waiting for Sara to find time to come over and help me choose a border plan for her quilt.
  3. I still want an old-fashioned schoolhouse quilt, but I'm planning to use more modern fabrics.
Tomorrow is Mother's Day! 
I wish you were here, Mom. Miss you!
 
Wishing you all a wonderful day.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary. I don't know how your comment was deleted. I'm so glad you like my little giraffe. Yes, the pattern is available now. You can find it here: https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/patterns/g-is-for-giraffe/494586

      Delete