Friday, May 12, 2017

"G" is for Giraffe

After so many trials and errors, the giraffe mug rug finally came together. It reminds me of the pictures in a child's alphabet book, so I had no choice but to name it, "G" is for Giraffe.


There were so many missteps along the journey to finding the right design for this mug rug. I made a short list of some things that I need to keep in mind. 

  • I have the greatest success when I stick to designs that are lighthearted and fun. When I try to expand into something more artistic, I often run into trouble. 
  • Working too hard on an idea often backfires. 
  • It often takes several attempts to get things right. 
  • When I'm stuck, I need to take breaks and do things that are entirely different. Eventually ideas gel, but only when I'm relaxed and not overthinking the design. 
  • Fabric choices are everything! Fabrics that look perfect laid out on the cutting board may not look good at all when sewn together. 
  • Trial and error is part of the process.

I'm trying to plan ahead, but I'm not getting very far. In the meantime, I do have some short term project plans, so that's a start.
  1. If the world will slow down, I'll make the last block pattern for Sara's quilt.
  2. I'm waiting for Sara to find time to come over and help me choose a border plan for her quilt.
  3. I still want an old-fashioned schoolhouse quilt, but I'm planning to use more modern fabrics.
Tomorrow is Mother's Day! 
I wish you were here, Mom. Miss you!
 
Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Sara Quilt, Block 7, Tutorial


We've had a of hectic couple of weeks with emergency rooms and doctor appointments for my sweet hubby. Getting older in combination with poor health isn't the least bit fun. I'm hoping it all slows down for a bit now.

Today, I have finally found a few minutes to hastily write up this pattern.

Sara Quilt, Block 7. 10 1/2" x 10 1/2"
This is a very basic variation on a star block, and so quick to stitch together.

You will need four fabrics, two creams, one main red, and one contrast red.
From the main red, cut:
  • Five squares 2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
  • Four squares 3 1/4" x 3 1/4"

From the contrast red, cut:
  • Four squares 2 1/2" x 2 1/2"

From Cream 1, cut:
  • Four squares 2 1/2" x 2 1/2"

From Cream 2, cut:
  • Four squares 3 1/4" x 3 1/4"

Make eight half square triangles.

1. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side each of the 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" Cream 2 squares.
2. Align one of these squares on top of each of the 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" red squares, right sides together.

3. Stitch 1/4" from either side of the drawn line.

4. Cut on the line and open the half square triangles.

5. Press to the red. The patches will be slightly larger than needed. 

I made two versions of this block. The fabrics shown here are used in the second version.
6. Trim each half square triangle to 2 1/2" x 2 1/2".

Assemble the block.

1. Make rows 1 and 5, the top and bottom rows of the block. From left to right: Cream 1 square, half square triangle, contrast red square, half square triangle, Cream 1 square.

 2. Make rows 2 and 4. From left to right: half square triangle, red square, Cream 1 square, red square, half square triangle.

3. Make the middle row. From left to right: contrast red square, Cream 1 square, red square, Cream 1 square, contrast red square.

 4. Assemble as show above. Be very careful to place the half square triangles in the right position or ...


.... you just might wind up with an undesirable block!

I did take it apart and fix it. This quilt is for my granddaughter, and I really didn't like the accidentally invented block.

Now, on to writing up the pattern for Block 5, the final block pattern for Sara's quilt.

First, though, I'm going for a walk. It's such a beautiful day.

Sunshine in our little neighborhood park.


Wishing you a beautiful day!