|"Red, White, and Blue", 17" x 17"|
This takes only a few small pieces of fabrics. You need five main fabrics for the star and a few red and white pieces for the center square.
- two blues, one dark, one a lighter print
- two reds, one dark, one a lighter print
- one white
- scraps of reds and whites for center square
- 1/8 yard white print for border
- 1/8 yard dark blue for binding
- one fat quarter for backing
- From dark blue, cut eight squares, 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".
- From lighter blue, cut four squares, 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".
- From dark red, cut four squares, 3" x 3".
- From light red, cut four squares, 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".
- From white, cut four squares 3" x 3" and eight squares 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".
- From red and white scraps, cut six strips, 1 1/2" x 8".
- From white border print, cut two strips 1 1/2" x 15 1/2" and two strips 1 1/2" x 17 1/2".
Make the Center Square:
1. Sew the red and white strips of fabric together, side by side alternating darker fabrics with lighter fabrics. Press.
2. From this set, cut five strips, each 1 1/2" wide.
|Note: I made a mistake in choosing fabrics. O thought the bottom row would present as a white, but he two fabrics on the ends were much too similar. As a result my finished center square has one edge that doesn't match up the way I'd like.|
4. Sew the five strips together to make one square, 5 1/2" x 5 1/2".
|Even with more rearranging, I couldn't avoid having one end of the square with too little contrast.|
Make the Half Square Triangle Patches
1. Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of each 3 1/2" white square and each square of the lighter blue print.
2. With right sides together:
- Lay a 3 1/2" white square on each the four 3 1/2" lighter red squares.
- Lay a 3 1/2" white square on each of four 3 1/2" dark blue squares.
- Lay a lighter bue square on each of the remaining four dark blue squares.
3. Sew 1/4" from either side of the lines drawn. Cut on the drawn line, open each half and press open to make half square triangle patches. You will have four patches of each combination. Trim each patch to 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".
1. Assemble top row as shown below. Sew all patches right sides together.
From left to right: white square, red and white half square triangle patch, blue and white half square triangle patch, blue and white half square triangle patch, red and white half square triangle patch, white square. Press.
|Top row: make two|
2. Assemble bottom row with patches right sides together as shown below.
From left to right: red and white patch, red square, dark blue and light blue patch, dark blue and light blue patch, red square, red and white patch.Press.
|Bottom row: make two.|
1. For each unit, with right sides together, sew two dark blue and light blue patches together with the dark blue triangles together as shown. Then sew two dark blue and white patches together with the white triangles together as shown.
1. Sew a unit B to each of two opposite sides of the center square.
2. Sew a unit A to the top and bottom of the center square and unit B strip.
3. Sew a 1 1/2" x 15 1/2" strip of white border fabric to each of two opposite sides of the completed star. Press to the border.
4. Sew a 1 1/2" x 17 1/2" strip of border fabric to the remaining two sides of the star. Press to the border.