Thursday, January 11, 2018

When the Creative Muse Doesn't Strike, Sew Anyway!

A jillion ideas for new mug rugs and wall hangings are bouncing around in my head, but nothing is actually taking hold. It happens now and then - more frequently as time goes on. I'm sewing anyway - just not something totally original.


My daughter likes these little microwave soup bowl holders that are all over Pinterest.  There wasn't time to make some for her Christmas, but January is a good soup month. This was also a super way to use some of those 10" precuts that I keep collecting.

 I was having fun, so when the bowls were finished, I made a bread basket to match, and gave it  button-on handles that can be placed up or down. Then I added a reversible napkin for the bread basket. Playing with my favorite toys is always fun.


 
I haven't made a pattern for the bread basket, because it isn't all that impressive, but I will be playing with more basket ideas in the future. 

I did make an actual pattern for the soup bowl holders, though. The idea of drawing lines from corner to corner and side to side on each 10 inch square seemed a bit much. A pattern shortened the process considerably, and the measuring was finished when the pattern was done.

Make a pattern for 10" fabric squares.

1.  Cut a 5" x 10" rectangle from your paper. Draw a dotted down the center to make two 5" x 5" squares.

 

2. Measure 2 1/2" down from the top on the dotted line. Make a dot.

3. At the very top of the dotted line, measure 1" to either side of the line and make dots.

4. Make dots 1" up from the bottom on each side edge of the paper.

5. Make dots 2 1/2" in from each bottom side edge of the paper.


6. Connect the dots. These are the stitching lines for the darts.

7. Measure exactly 1/4" to the inside of each dotted line and cut.

 8. Two pattern sections can be taped together for a complete pattern.

Cut and sew the bowl holders:
1. Place a 10" x 10" square of fabric right side up on a piece of 100% cotton batting.


2. Pin the fabric and batting at the corners and in the center. Use the pattern to cut out the "v" shapes on each side of the square. (It took a few turns of the paper, but the half pattern worked just find for cutting darts.)



3. Mark the dots for the inside corners on the batting with a fabric marker or ball point pen. 
 

4. Fold the cut edges of the "v" together. Stitch the dart 1/4" from the edges of the cutout, ending right at the dot.


5. Snip the end of the four darts open almost to the dots and press the seams open.

6. Pin two of the fabric/batting sections right sides together. Using a 1/4" seam, stitch all the way around leaving about a 4" opening to turn the soup holder right side out.


7. Turn, stitch the opening closed, and press.




5 comments:

  1. Just lovely! Thanks for the pattern...I have had some batting for one of these and just not tried. The little basket is wonderful looking...I would say your creative side was alive and well! Look forward to what you come up with on baskets! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. The soup bowl holders whip together so fast and they are super gifts. I hope you have fun with them.

      Delete
  2. Karen,
    Oh my goodness!!! Thank you so much for the pattern and tutorial. I too have seen these on Pinterest and have been wanting to make them. I just haven't. I love them. You are a sweet blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comments, Edith. I hope that having a pattern will simplify the process of making the soup bowl holders.

      Delete
  3. These are the best directions for this project I have seen. Good job!

    ReplyDelete