Wednesday, April 18, 2018

A Cheerful Baby Quilt and the Baby Box


You know how one thing leads to another and another, and before you know it, you're in a totally unexpected place?

It all started with making gifts for two young mothers expecting new babies. First I made the "Carriage Ride" mug rug.  Next I made some flannel blankets with satin binding, and crocheted baby bibs for baby showers coming up.

I was really on a baby roll, so a baby quilt came next. 
"Hearts and Pinwheels" 34 1/2" x 43 12" The Pattern
I pulled a layer cake of cheerful baby prints from my stash, and designed this little quilt that can easily be made with either 10" squares or with 5" squares. It turned out so sweetly. The photos really don't do it justice. I used polyester batting to keep it lightweight, and minimal quilting to keep it soft and fluffy. The only quilting other than stitching in the ditch around the blocks is a bit of FMQ on the outside border.



There was quite a bit of fabric left over, so I made a bib to match the quilt. I'll add a button or some velcro as soon as I can get to the store.

Since my granddaughter now lives next door, she had been following the progress of the baby quilt. "What are you going to do with it?" she asked.

"Why, it goes in the baby box."
"You have a baby box?" She sounded quite surprised. "What's in it?"



I pulled the box from the closet. There isn't a lot in it right now because I keep giving things away as gifts. There are the little bibs and blankets that I've made recently , a couple of quilts have been put aside for eventual great-grandbabies, and something very special that I've been saving for ten years.


I asked Sara, "Do you recognize this?"
"The fabrics are familiar," she said. The rest of the story surprised her.

Ten years ago, when Sara was 11-years-old, she was very interested in sewing. I'd been sewing for my niece who was expecting a baby girl. Sara decided she wanted to make a baby quilt for the new baby, too. So, she made this quilt top. She chose the fabrics and the pattern. We worked together on it during the summer.

When the quilt top was finished, Sara changed her mind. "I don't want to give it away," she said. "I want to keep it for my own babies."

Summer ended, Sara started middle school, and in the whirlwind of new school,  friends, and all that early adolescent craziness, sewing lost it's appeal. I put the unfinished quilt away for her. I hope that someday, she'll have reason to finish it.

What's in your baby box?

Wishing you a lovely week!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea to have a baby box...will think about that! Lovely quilt & bib. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My baby box needs more stuff now that the grands are rapidly reaching an age to start families of their own. I have tons of work to do.

      Delete