Monday, January 14, 2019

The Empty Chair, Part 4: A Year Gone By


This week marks a full year since my dear man has been gone. So many things have changed. I still miss him every day, but I'm gradually adjusting. I think the hardest part has been the silence. I've been running the television or playing the radio all day long, just for background noise.

Life has changed in so many ways, but this next year will be one of happier adjustments. Something is in the works.  I always knew I'd married a stubborn man, and there are moments that leave me wondering. 

I mentioned in an earlier blog that Fred was adamant that I not live alone. My grandchildren moved next door in March. Everything fell together so suddenly after his passing, that I questioned if Fred had a hand in it all. I've so enjoyed having those sweet, young people so close by. It's been wonderful, but not exactly what Fred wanted. In those last weeks, he insisted that I should live in the same house with one of our children.  He worried that I'd fall, or get sick, and no one would be here to help me. He had the same concerns for our daughter, who has been living on her own for several years. Fred thought we should be together under one roof. There was just one problem. Mandy has been living over an hour's drive from me and working in Omaha.

Then, just before Christmas, a position in Lincoln suddenly opened up. Mandy applied, and job was hers. Her transfer took effect last week, and she'll be moving back to Lincoln as soon as her house sells. It will go on the market in March when winter begins to bow out. In the meanwhile, Mandy is staying with me during the week, and going home on weekends. While she's working, I have the company of her two little dogs, Watson and Willow. They are delightful, and my house isn't quiet unless they're sleeping. Puppies during the day, a daughter in the evenings. What could be better?

After the sale of her house, Mandy will find a house in Lincoln. She says that her dad won't let her rest until she finds something with enough space for both of us and the pups. She also won't settle for anything that doesn't have well lighted studio space where she can paint and I can sew.

This is all quite exciting. I'm truly looking forward to the coming year.

Nap time for Watson and Willow
Change is inevitable, so I wish all of us a year filled with love, happiness, and only those changes that bring joy.
















11 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new plans, sending best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you. I pray all will go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly daughters are a blessing! Several years ago my eldest wanted me to move in with her. She was concerned for the same reasons. I was okay living alone but moved in with her. It's been a blessing. We both quilt and enjoy the same things. We moved to another state (Oregon) last March. She works from home now and it's been darn near perfect!! Have 2 sons that live a few hours away and my youngest daughter and her family bought a home a miles from us. I wish you peace and joy in your new life ... filled with good memories of the past and new ones to come. There is that new door opening!! Have a Joyous New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cuántas lindas noticias! Definitivamente tu esposo ha estado ayudando. Me alegro mucho por ti. Debes sentirte feliz de tener a tu hija de nuevo bajo el mismo techo. Gracias por compartir y por tus buenos deseos. Te envío bendiciones y abrazos desde Venezuela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. We joke about my husband manipulating things for us, but it is just like him to try.

      Delete
  5. I have read your series on the chair and time passing. My husband passed in October last year and I miss him a lot. I am impressed with all that you have accomplished since he passed. Would like to converse off line...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear about your husband. Friends, family, and time don't erase the love or the missing, but they do help to ease the raw pain of those first months. If you'd care to send me an email address, we can communicate privately. My email is klee2strings@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. I just happened upon your blog today via your Valentine Topper feature on Quilting Digest. I am sure the empty chair will always be with you. May you and your pups find peace and happiness wherever life leads you. I have enjoyed your quilts and recipes today. Thank you ... <3 Pat

    ReplyDelete