It was already Tuesday and I was anxious to get the mug rugs finished that I'd promised to get out this week.
These are for those folks who might have preferred a teapot or coffee block for the "Home" quilt along instead of the bookshelf block. The block size and the mug rug size are identical, and I made the pattern for both - a mix and match pair.
The quilt tops were appliqued with my favorite blanket stitch and ready for the next step.
Since I had my sewing machine set up for free motion quilting on my winter purse, I planned to finish the quilting on the pieces for that and then do the quilting on this little pair of mug rugs - kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.
The bag pieces went smoothly and I set them aside. Then I "sandwiched" up the mug rugs. I thought about the quilting pattern and decided to go with something nice and swirly because that's what steam looks like.
I slipped the mug rug under my needle and focused on making nice rounded swirls.
After a bit I noticed that my needle was going "thump, thump, thump" like it sometimes will when it becomes dull. Then my thread broke.
No problem. Rethread the machine and change the needle a the same time.
I'd been quilting through both mug rugs!
No wonder the needle was going "thump, thump, thump"!
Oh, my gosh! Talk about appreciating my seam ripper.
It took awhile to undo the mess, and by the time I got it all undone it was lunchtime. Both mug rugs were filled with lovely little needle holes that needed fixing, too. So I sprayed them good with water so the fabric threads could relax, and I left them to dry while I ate a nice, healthy lunch of veggie soup, a pear, and a small piece of toast and peanut butter.
Needless to say, the winter bag is still waiting for the next step, but at least the mug rug damage is controlled and the mug rugs are finished.
All's well that end's well.