Thursday, November 6, 2014

A Table Topper, Some New Skills, and Wanting Your Opinion

A fat quarter here, a quarter of a yard there, a small scrap of something else, and an idea sprang into being. I didn't know what would come of these pretty fabrics when I bought them last summer.  I used some of them in "Mitten Weather", but a mug rug uses so little fabric, and I still had more than enough for a small holiday table topper.

I never would have guessed that one little pattern could take so long to make! It was my own fault, of course. The table topper, itself, stitched up quickly. It really is an easy little thing.

I can just see this made up in different color schemes and fabrics.
 Patriotic colors, soft baby colors, vibrant autumn colors, and on and on.
The time consuming part came from my gathering enough courage to take a plunge and do something totally new - an experiment in pattern making.

Until now, I've mainly illustrated my patterns with photos, and since my patterns have been based on applique, that technique has worked very well for me. Sometimes, though, a person needs a change of pace.  My newest table topper doesn't have one little bit of applique. Nothing at all for me to draw out by hand!

Using photographs for every step of making a pieced quilt, even for a tiny one like this, takes a ton of photos and lots of space. I felt that I needed to cut down on pages, so I showed the piecing and construction of the pattern entirely with computer drawn diagrams! That was the part took so long.


I've been learning how to make these illustrations bit by bit over the past year and a half, but using them exclusively for whole pattern turned out to be a much bigger bite than I'd expected! I still don't have it perfected. Ha! Not by a long shot!

So far, I've learned to work with geometric shapes only, but that's a beginning. I'm learning,  and I feel pretty good about figuring it all out on my own.

So...
     no applique,
           diagrams rather than photos to illustrate construction ...

I wonder how my customers will respond to this new side of me.

I will continue to make my applique patterns with lots of photos, and I'll likely mix photos and diagrams in more patterns in the future, but I really want to know how well this computer generated style of pattern works for you quilters.

Please let me know what you think!!


And happy stitching!!







10 comments:

  1. Your table topper is a lovely piece. Like you I could see this in many different styles ofd fabric.

    Your diagrams drafted on the computer look very crisp and clear. I'm sure they will work out very well for your customers. I think most quilters are familiar with this style from quilting magazines and most pieced patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement! I respect your opinion so much. BTW, I'm loving your snowflake blocks!! So much fun!

      Delete
  2. It looks great. I've always hoped with all the adorable patterns you have created using applique that you'd maybe do some pieced patterns and/or mug rugs since I like doing those more. Well, for now I like them more but that's only because I have more experience in piecing and am more comfortable. I am hoping you will do more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki. I like doing both pieced and appliqued quilts. I'll use the response to this one to help me decide whether to make more pieced designs with little or no applique.

      Delete
  3. what size is the table topper completed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, This is a beautiful piece. Like you I love both, pieced and applique. I like seeing a photo of the finished item(s). As long as there are some type of "picture" throughout the instructions to help guide me, I'm fine. I don't have to have photos, computer generated drawings are fine. I'm a visual person, so it helps to see the steps and not just read them. Thank you for asking our opinion/suggestions. Makes being a consumer much more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edi, I agree with you. The diagrams are fine for me, but a photo of the finished project is essential. The biggest difference is the number of pages used. Photos take so much more space. I really appreciate your comments! It is so helpful to me to have feedback from those who might use my patterns. I always welcome suggestions.

      Delete
  5. Love this! Can an ultimate beginner figure this one out? Are the directions for purchase on craftsy?

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, you've shown yourself to be a very fast learner. I think you could make this one without any difficulty. Some of the pieces are small, so precision is needed, but I don't see any reason that it shouldn't work out fine for you. Make sure that all seams have exactly 1/4" seam allowance. Yes, this pattern is available on Crafsty. Click on the picture of it that's in the "My Patterns on Craftsy" box on the right side of this blog.

      Delete