Sunday, February 2, 2014

Quilt Along House Block Progress

This center house block is finally coming together! I'm ready to start work on templates tomorrow. Then I'll do the applique stitching and add any details that are needed. I should have the pattern totally finished and up on Craftsy by February 10th at the very latest. Then the new blocks could come out on the 10th of every month.

It remains 16" x 16", and it basically contains the house and just one tree.

I'm so much happier with the leaves on the tree! I moved the house up a bit and added another layer of grass so the empty area on top is much smaller. Now it all seems balanced. What else? Oh, I changed the colors on several pieces. The yellow was just one color too many on this one block. The blocks will contain many colors in my scrappy quilt, but I prefer to have the colors in each individual block harmonious. 

I need to thank all of you for your ideas. 

Thank you!

The swing is an just an idea. It hasn't been ironed in place. If I keep it I'll need to drop it a bit lower. The house looked so deserted and lifeless!

To keep or not to keep? What do you think? 

I'm also considering adding some bushes or a pot of flowers to the front of the house. That would involve some tiny pieces, but it can be made quite manageable. 

Again, what would you like to see? Leave it alone? Add some color?

Ideas for other blocks are coming in. 
Please join in with your ideas. 

This is what I've been given so far:  

needle, thread and scissors
yarn and knitting needles 
a kitty cat
rocking chair
fireplace
plate and silverware 
teapot or coffee pot 
cookie jar and cookies  
clothesline
mixer
birdhouse
potted plant
sewing machine






8 comments:

  1. Love the way this looks and I think some flowers in front would make it even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith. I've really been leaning toward doing that. It would look so much warmer and more homey.

      Delete
  2. I love the new look. Keep the swing and I agree with adding some flowers or a pot of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think maybe some smoke from the chimley with thread and leave the swing. Once the house is blanket stitched around the sections I think it will come alive plus panels in windows and door handle with thread it will look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jo-Anne. You have a good sense of what it will look like in a couple of cays. It will definitely look brighter once the stitching is done. Yes, there most definitely will be window panels and a door handle. I think that smoke could be created with quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yellow daffodils in front of the window....but keep it simple. Glad yiou took the other tree out. This is really darling! Ah yes, and a small thread of smoke coiming out of chimney would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple, yes, definitely, Danielle, and I agree that this might be the perfect place to toss in a bit of yellow. Flowers will have to be very tiny, though. I'll be working with a couple of ideas today.

      Delete