Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Sewing is finished on my house block!

Wow! I love this feeling of accomplishment!

The pattern isn't ready yet, but the applique stitching is finished. Yesterday was a long day at the sewing machine, but once something nears completion I seem unable to stop until it's done.

I've made the templates for the applique pieces, and that's a big step. I still need to draw the layout plan and write the pattern, so there is quite a bit of work remaining. Even so, I'm hoping to have the pattern ready by Friday or Saturday. Fingers crossed!

I really like the way this block has turned out! It has enough detail for my tastes, but it looks like it would be much more work than it was. Since it's a large block, the pieces aren't terribly tiny and there really aren't too many of them. The only hand stitching was the embroidery used in the flower bed.




It's amazing how much life is added by stitching. The before and after photos really highlight the differences.  I've decided that, at least for now, I won't make one in different colors. I have so many other projects waiting for attention.

Astounding isn't it?
I thought you might like to see a list of the ideas that I used from all of you.
  • a 16" block
  • just the house and one big tree
  • bigger blobs for leaves
  • a swing
  • flowers under the window
  • a sidewalk to the front door
I'll end with a few closeup photos so you can see the details more clearly. When the pattern is ready I'll add a blog post with more information and a few helpful hints for putting it all together. 


The doorknob button won't be sewn on until quilting is finished.

Oops. A stray piece of thread invaded the photo. 






Happy Wednesday, everyone!!

12 comments:

  1. THis looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith. I love that you're lovin it! :)

      Delete
  4. Great job; looks amazing. It's hard to wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia. I know you're swamped right now, but would you like to join in on any of this project?

      Delete
  5. That is sooooo adorable. Yes! Count me in. What a cute quilt this will be. I'm squeezing it in to my busy day. I can hardly wait to get started on this. You are So amazingly talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard, Diane! I'm so glad you like this first block. Fingers crossed that the rest turn out well! :)

      Delete
    2. not Diane, but that's OK........Love ya anyway,
      Danielle :)

      Delete
    3. So sorry, Danielle! I'll do my best not to mess up on your name again - or anyone else's, either. Thanks for forgiving me so easily. :)

      Delete